This Brunswick stew is made with shredded red meat, lima beans, and veggies in a wealthy, candy, and tangy tomato-based broth with BBQ sauce blended into it. It’s convenience meals at its highest!
Brunswick Stew is a standard Southern dish that’s hearty and flavorful, incessantly made in huge amounts for neighborhood gatherings. The stew is cooked slowly, permitting the flavors to meld in combination and the meats to turn out to be very mushy.
Why We Love This Brunswick Stew Recipe
- Hearty. Filled with red meat and veggies, Brunswick stew is without equal convenience meals for cold days.
- Nice for leftovers. This dish tastes even higher day after today because the flavors proceed to stew in combination. Plus, it reheats smartly, making it easiest for meal prep for your busiest weeks.
- Customizable. You’ll be able to simply customise the recipe to fit your tastes. Use a highly spiced BBQ sauce, upload additional veggies, and check out hen as a substitute of red meat.
What Is Brunswick Stew?
Brunswick stew is a hearty, conventional Southern stew loaded with meat, incessantly red meat, veggies, and lima beans in a tangy tomato-based broth. One amusing feature of this warming stew is that it most often has BBQ sauce in it, which provides a ravishing tang and a word of sweetness. Uniquely scrumptious and filling, I will’t get sufficient of it.
Brunswick Stew Substances
- For the Pulled Beef: canola oil, red meat shoulder (or red meat butt), bbq sauce, and water.
- For the Stew: butter, yellow onion, salt, pepper, garlic, canned fire-roasted tomatoes, frozen or canned lima beans, canned corn, bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and hen inventory.
Tips on how to Make Brunswick Stew
- Make the pulled red meat. Flip the Rapid Pot to saute and brown the red meat on each side. Whisk in combination the BBQ sauce and water and pour it over the red meat. Prepare dinner on excessive power for 1 hour, adopted by way of a herbal unencumber. You’ll be able to additionally prepare dinner the red meat within the Sluggish Cooker for 8 hours on Low.
- Shred. Switch the red meat to a slicing board and shred it with a fork.
- Sauté the veggies. Soften the butter in a big soup pot. Upload the onion, season with salt, and sauté till translucent. Upload the garlic and sauté till aromatic.
- Put all of it in combination. Stir within the tomatoes, lima beans, corn, hen inventory, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, and hen inventory.
- Prepare dinner. Convey the stew to a boil after which right down to a simmer. Simmer for 20 mins.
- Upload the red meat. Stir within the pulled red meat.
- Season. Season with salt and pepper to style. Serve.
Recipe Guidelines And Permutations
- Meats in Brunswick Stew: Pulled red meat is a not unusual component, however different meats, akin to hen and flooring red meat or red meat brisket, also are superb alternatives.
- Sluggish cooker approach: In case you don’t need to use the Rapid Pot, prepare dinner the red meat within the gradual cooker. Protected the lid and prepare dinner on Prime for five to six hours or on Low for 8 to ten hours or till the red meat is mushy and simply falls aside with a fork.
- Brown the red meat. Browning the beef offers it a deeper taste.
- Be picky with BBQ sauce. The BBQ sauce that is going into this stew will have an effect on the entire taste. So remember to pick out one you in reality like.
- Modify the beauty. Permutations of this recipe name for brown sugar. I skip it as a result of I in finding that the beauty from the BBQ sauce is sufficient, but when you need a sweeter stew, upload somewhat brown sugar to style.
- Consistency. Upload additional broth to the stew in case you like a thinner, soupier consistency.
- Thicken. To thicken the stew, make a slurry of cornstarch and water and whisk it in whilst the stew simmers.
Take hold of a slice of this Gentle Skillet Cornbread, or check out my crusty No Knead Skillet Olive Bread. A bit of this Focaccia Bread could also be superb, however pass the Southern course and make my Skillet Biscuits with Garlic-Basil Olives. To get a divorce the richness of this hearty stew, a recent Inexperienced Goddess Salad would utterly paintings, in addition to a Vintage Waldorf Salad or my Radish Cucumber Tomato Salad.
Tips on how to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Permit the stew to chill totally earlier than sealing it in an hermetic container. You’ll be able to retailer it within the refrigerator for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Permit the stew to thaw within the refrigerator earlier than reheating.
- To reheat. Switch the leftovers to a pot and warmth over medium-low warmth till heat.
Extra Stew Recipes To Check out
Make the pulled red meat
Brown the red meat. Set the Rapid Pot to sauté. As soon as the basin of the Rapid Pot is sizzling, upload the oil. Sear the red meat on each side till browned. Flip off the sauté serve as and depart the red meat within the pot.
Load the power cooker. Whisk in combination the BBQ sauce and water and pour it over the red meat.
Prepare dinner. Shut the lid and prepare dinner on excessive power for 1 hour whilst you’re making the stew. Let the power naturally unencumber totally.
Shred. As soon as the power has launched by itself, take away the lid of the Rapid Pot, switch the red meat to a slicing board (discard the cooking liquid left in the back of), and shred it with a fork. Put aside.
Make the stew
Sauté the veggies. Soften the butter over medium warmth in a big soup pot. Upload the onion, season with salt, and sauté for 4 mins or till translucent. Upload the garlic and sauté for 15 seconds or till aromatic.
Make the broth. Stir within the tomatoes, lima beans, corn, hen inventory, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, and hen inventory.
Prepare dinner. Building up the warmth to medium-high, carry the stew to a boil, after which cut back the warmth to low. Simmer for 20 mins earlier than stirring within the pulled red meat.
Season. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Serve. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Brown the red meat first to improve its taste; this step in reality brings out a richer style within the meat.
- Use the gradual cooker in case you’re no longer the usage of an Rapid Pot; position the red meat within, duvet, and let it prepare dinner on HIGH for five to six hours or on LOW for 8 to ten hours till the red meat is cushy and without difficulty shreds with a fork.
- Make a selection your BBQ sauce in moderation, as its taste will considerably affect the stew’s general style. Make sure it’s a logo or kind that you simply revel in.
- You’ll be able to modify the extent of sweetness within the recipe in step with what you favor. Whilst I most often overlook brown sugar since the BBQ sauce supplies sufficient sweetness, you’ll upload some in case you desire a sweeter style.
- In case you desire your stew to be extra broth-based, don’t hesitate so as to add extra broth till you reach the required consistency.
- To thicken the stew, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons chilly water till easy to create a slurry, after which stir it into the simmering stew.
- To retailer, calm down the stew earlier than hanging it in a sealed container and stay it within the fridge for as much as 4 days, or it may be frozen for 3 months. Thaw it within the refrigerator while you’re in a position to revel in it once more. To reheat the stew, gently heat the stew over medium-low warmth till heated thru.
Energy: 479 kcal | Carbohydrates: 63 g | Protein: 23 g | Fats: 16 g | Saturated Fats: 5 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 7 g | Trans Fats: 0.2 g | Ldl cholesterol: 61 mg | Sodium: 1514 mg | Potassium: 892 mg | Fiber: 6 g | Sugar: 32 g | Diet A: 1006 IU | Diet C: 12 mg | Calcium: 97 mg | Iron: 4 mg
Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might range in step with the elements and gear used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.