This hearty, savory Lentil Bolognese is a brilliant vegetarian meal that doesn’t sacrifice convenience. It’s additionally excessive in protein and fiber!
I am getting requested to proportion extra vegetarian recipes incessantly, and I’m at all times glad to as a result of I like consuming plant-based meals. Lentils are an unbelievable supply of protein and fiber, and in contrast to dried beans, they prepare dinner temporarily with out pre-soaking. This vegetarian Lentil Bolognese makes a very good meatless dinner. Mushrooms and an entire can of tomato paste create a deeply savory basis of taste made richer with the wine, however you’ll be able to simply overlook it in the event you’d like. For a extra conventional Bolognese recipe, I’ve stovetop, gradual cooker, and Rapid Pot variations.
Pink Lentil Bolognese Elements
- Greens: Cube one yellow onion, two medium carrots, and 8 oz of child bella mushrooms.
- Salt to season the greens
- Tomato Paste: Use a whole can of tomato paste for a extra complicated taste.
- Garlic: Mince 3 garlic cloves.
- Wine: Pink wine provides richness and intensity to the Bolognese sauce. Be sure to use a dry, good-quality one.
- Tomatoes: I swear via Tuttorosso’s canned tomatoes. Overwhelmed or diced tomatoes will paintings right here.
- Liquid: Use vegetable broth or water to prepare dinner the lentils.
- Lentils: Brown, inexperienced, or break up crimson lentils are all nice choices for this Bolognese recipe. Each and every sort has more or less the similar cooking time, however break up crimson lentils have a finer texture as soon as cooked, whilst brown or inexperienced will probably be extra unique within the sauce.
- Herbs: Season the Bolognese with dried oregano or Italian seasoning and garnish with contemporary basil.
- Parmesan: Garnish with freshly grated parmesan or dietary yeast for a vegan lentil Bolognese.
- Pasta: To extend the protein, serve this dish over high-protein pasta.
The right way to Make Lentil Bolognese
- Greens: Sauté the onion, carrots, mushrooms, and salt in a big pot over medium warmth. Cook dinner till the onions are translucent and the mushrooms begin to prepare dinner down.
- Tomato Paste: Stir within the tomato paste and garlic and prepare dinner for 5 mins till the paste is a deeper crimson and begins to sniff toasted.
- Bolognese Sauce: Pour the crimson wine into the pot to deglaze and prepare dinner for any other minute. Upload the tomatoes, broth, lentils, and Italian seasoning. Building up the warmth to excessive, stirring from time to time, till the liquid is slightly below a boil.
- Simmer: Quilt the pot, cut back the warmth to medium-low, and simmer for 25 to 40 mins till the lentils are soft. Stay the liquid at an lively simmer, because of this there must be a bit of effervescent however no longer a complete boil.
- Pasta: Boil a big pot of salted water and prepare dinner the pasta to al dente consistent with the package deal instructions. As soon as carried out, drain the pasta and stir into the sauce.
- The right way to Serve: Divide the lentil Bolognese into bowls and most sensible with grated parmesan or dietary yeast and contemporary basil.
- Mushrooms: Switch child bellas with white button mushrooms.
- No longer a mushroom fan? You’ll skip the mushrooms in the event you dislike them, however they do give the sauce a meatier texture and umami taste. For those who cube them very small, the mushrooms aren’t as noticeable.
- Wine: Change crimson wine with white wine or overlook it in the event you favor to not prepare dinner with it. For those who don’t wish to open a whole bottle of wine, purchase the mini bottles or cans on the grocery store.
- Broth: For those who’re no longer vegetarian, you’ll be able to at all times use hen broth or inventory if that’s what you might have.
What to Serve with Lentil Bolognese
- Pasta: This simple Lentil Bolognese sauce is very good over pasta, like linguini, rigatoni, or rotini. I used Barilla’s Protein+ pasta for added protein and fiber. In case you have a gluten sensitivity, make a selection your favourite gluten-free noodles.
- For a lower-carb possibility, serve it over zucchini noodles.
- If you wish to upload a aspect dish, do this pasta with garlic knots, an Italian aspect salad, or roasted inexperienced beans.
- Meat: For those who’re no longer vegetarian and wish extra protein, pair it with salmon or hen.
Leftovers will last as long as 5 days within the fridge or 3 months within the freezer.
- You’ll freeze the Bolognese and pasta in combination or make simply sufficient pasta for the primary night time. Then freeze the sauce one at a time and prepare dinner contemporary pasta ahead of consuming.
- To thaw, let the container sit down in a single day within the fridge and reheat it at the range or within the microwave till heat. You could wish to upload a dash of water or broth if it’s too thick.
Lentil Bolognese FAQ
Bolognese is an Italian pasta sauce product of floor meat, tomatoes, greens, and milk or cream, which originated in Bologna, Italy. Lentil Bolognese swaps floor meat with lentils for a vegetarian meal that’s additionally more cost effective since lentils price lower than meat.
Lentils and mushrooms are commonplace substitutions for meat in Bolognese. Some recipes use walnuts, tofu, or a vegan floor meat choice.
Extra Lentil Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Measurement: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 8 ounce package deal child bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup crimson wine, not obligatory
- 15- ounce can overwhelmed or diced tomatoes, I swear via Tuttoroso
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown, inexperienced, or break up crimson lentils
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- 1 pound excessive protein pasta, corresponding to Barilla or gluten-free pasta
- contemporary basil, not obligatory for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, change dietary yeast for vegan
In a big pot, heat the oil over medium warmth.
Upload the onion, carrots, mushrooms, and salt. Stir to coat with oil and sauté for roughly 8 to ten mins, till the onion is translucent and the mushrooms begin to prepare dinner down.
Upload the tomato paste and garlic to the pot. Stir completely and prepare dinner for roughly 5 mins, stirring, or till the tomato paste is a deeper crimson and beginning to scent extra toasty.
If the usage of, use the crimson wine to deglaze the pot. Cook dinner for any other minute or two till the liquid chefs out.
Pour within the tomatoes, broth, lentils, and Italian seasoning. Building up the warmth to medium-high, stirring from time to time, till the liquid is slightly below a boil.
Scale back the warmth to medium-low, conserving the liquid at an lively simmer, duvet and prepare dinner for 35 to 40 mins, stirring occassionally or till the lentils are soft.
Carry a pot of salted water to a boil, when the sauce is sort of able prepare dinner the pasta consistent with package deal instructions, for al dente. Drain and stir within the cooked pasta into the sauce, divide into bowls and most sensible every bowl with grated Parmesan or dietary yeast and contemporary basil.
Please depart a ranking and remark letting us know the way you really liked this recipe! This is helping our trade to thrive and proceed offering unfastened, high quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 1/2 cups, Energy: 358 kcal, Carbohydrates: 69 g, Protein: 19.5 g, Fats: 3 g, Sodium: 748 mg, Fiber: 10 g, Sugar: 11 g