This Reuben casserole is an ideal baked rendition of the vintage sandwich. It’s full of rye bread, pastrami, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese soaked in a Thousand Island dressing and baked to a melty, tacky goodness.
When you’re a Reuben sandwich gourmand, you’re going to in point of fact like this Reuben casserole. Layering the entirety right into a baking dish is such a lot more straightforward than development person sandwiches. The entire thing is baked till melty, bubbly, and scrumptious, and it’s the easiest recipe for a crowd!
Why I Love A Reuben Casserole
- Environment friendly. The recipe combines pastrami, sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing, and Swiss cheese in a single dish. Merely layer the components in a baking dish for a hassle-free model of the vintage sandwich.
- Nice for a crowd. This casserole is perfect for serving a big team, getting rid of the will for assembling person sandwiches.
- Customizable. Reuben casserole is flexible and customizable. Be at liberty to experiment with other lunch meats, cheeses, or your favourite bread.
- Darkish rye bread – Gentle or marbled rye too can paintings. Sourdough is superb, however Reubens are normally constructed on rye bread.
- Eggs & Milk – Wanted for the custard.
- Thousand Island dressing – Any creamy dressing will do, however Thousand Island is what you to find in a vintage Reuben.
- Pastrami – You’ll replace it with corned pork for the same taste or roast pork.
- Canned sauerkraut – You should definitely drain the sauerkraut.
- Swiss cheese – You want to use Gouda or cheddar as a substitute, however you possibly can be diverging from the vintage Reuben flavors.
Find out how to Make Reuben Casserole
Right here’s a handy guide a rough take a look at find out how to make this fast and simple casserole. You’ll to find extra detailed directions should you scroll to the recipe card underneath.
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9X13-inch baking dish.
- Toast the rye. Toast the breadcrumbs on a sheet pan within the oven for quarter-hour, tossing midway via.
- Make the custard. In the meantime, whisk in combination the eggs, milk, and Thousand Island dressing.
- Collect. Prepare part of the bread cubes within the backside of the baking dish and most sensible with part of the pastrami, part of the sauerkraut, and part of the Swiss cheese. Pour part of the custard frivolously over the casserole. Repeat, urgent the entirety down earlier than including the closing layer of Swiss cheese.
- Bake. Bake coated for 35 mins. Discover and bake for an extra quarter-hour.
Recipe Pointers And Permutations
It is a tremendous easy recipe and really easy to position in combination. Word that the entire permutations listed here are scrumptious then again they do steer clear of the vintage flavors of a Reuben sandwich.
- Toast the bread cubes. The usage of un-toasted bread cubes will finish you with a soggy casserole.
- Drain the sauerkraut. You should definitely drain your sauerkraut as a result of should you don’t, you’ll have a soggy mess.
- Press down. Press down the casserole layers firmly, the use of the again of a giant spatula, earlier than including the general layer of cheese. This guarantees the custard spreads frivolously, combating dry spots.
- Bread Choices. Gentle or marbled rye would additionally paintings. So would sourdough or ciabatta.
- Dressing Choices. Imagine the use of a unique creamy dressing akin to Ranch Dressing or Caesar.
- Take a look at a unique cheese. Swiss is the vintage selection, however you must alternate it out for shredded Gouda, mozzarella, and even cheddar.
- Switch out the pastrami. Take a look at the use of thinly sliced corned pork as a substitute. My Crock Pot Corned Pork is lovely superb.
I like serving a slice of Reuben casserole with a steaming bowl of soup. Crockpot French Onion Soup is my favourite right here, however my Roasted Tomato Soup would pair fantastically as neatly. Spherical your meal out with a pleasing L. a. Scala Chopped Salad or a vintage Coleslaw. An aspect of crispy Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli and Roasted Candy Potato Wedges could be a hearty aspect that fits neatly with the wealthy casserole.
Find out how to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- To retailer. Duvet the cooled casserole with a double layer of plastic wrap or switch the leftovers to an hermetic container. You’ll retailer it within the refrigerator for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw earlier than reheating.
- To reheat. Duvet it with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 20 mins or till heated via. However, reheat person parts within the microwave in 30-second periods till heat.
Casserole Recipes To Take a look at
Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9X13-inch baking dish.
Toast the rye. Prepare the bread cubes in one layer on a sheet pan and pa them within the oven for quarter-hour, tossing midway via to toast frivolously.
Make the custard. Whisk in combination the eggs, milk, and Thousand Island dressing and put aside.
Collect. Prepare part of the toasted bread cubes within the backside of the baking dish. Best with part of the pastrami, part of the sauerkraut, and part of the Swiss cheese. Pour part of the custard frivolously over the casserole. Prepare the remainder of the bread cubes excessive, adopted through the remainder of the pastrami and the remainder of the sauerkraut. Press the entirety down with the again of a giant spatula and pour the remainder custard excessive. Press down once more and most sensible it off with the remainder Swiss cheese.
Bake. Bake coated for 35 mins. Discover and bake for an extra quarter-hour.
Serve. Take away from the oven and let it stand for roughly 10 mins earlier than slicing and serving.
- Bread Sorts: But even so vintage rye, believe marbled rye, sourdough, or ciabatta for a twist.
- Dressing Possible choices: Use different creamy dressings like Ranch or Caesar for a unique taste profile.
- Cheese Choices: Whilst Swiss is conventional, experimenting with shredded Gouda, mozzarella, or cheddar can upload a novel style.
- Meat Substitutions: As an alternative of pastrami, thinly sliced corned pork could be a nice selection.
- Garage: Cool the casserole and canopy it with plastic wrap or position it in an hermetic container. Refrigerate for as much as 4 days or freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw earlier than reheating.
Energy: 421 kcal | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Protein: 26 g | Fats: 26 g | Saturated Fats: 10 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.01 g | Ldl cholesterol: 138 mg | Sodium: 1612 mg | Potassium: 366 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 6 g | Diet A: 599 IU | Diet C: 28 mg | Calcium: 371 mg | Iron: 4 mg
Dietary information is an estimate and equipped as courtesy. Values would possibly range in line with the components and gear used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.