Ribollita is a Tuscan white bean soup that is thickened with day-old bread. Stuffed with flavorful greens, it is a scrumptious, comforting meal in a bowl.
Ribollita, a vintage Tuscan soup, is the definition of a scrumptious meal made with easy substances. We’re speaking in reality easy—this flavorful Italian soup was once firstly a technique to stretch leftovers. It was once made by way of reheating bean and vegetable soup and including day-old bread to thicken it. Actually, ribollita approach “reboiled.”
My ribollita recipe doesn’t get started with leftovers. However within the Italian custom, it does ship wealthy taste with elementary substances. I start by way of sautéing onion, carrot, and celery in a beneficiant glug of olive oil. Then, I upload garlic, recent rosemary, and a dash of white wine. When the wine chefs down, tomatoes, beans, broth, and a Parmesan rind pass into the pot. All of it simmers in combination in order that the flavors can expand, after which I end the soup with Tuscan kale and cubes of bread. Tip: Serve the soup with extra toasted bread cubes (aka croutons!) on best for crunch.
This ribollita recipe is savory, hearty, and comforting. To me, it’s the easiest chilly climate meal. I’m hoping you adore it too!
Right here’s what you’ll want to make this ribollita recipe:
- Bread, in fact! You probably have a hunk of stale bread to your counter, now’s the time to make use of it! If you happen to don’t, apply the directions within the recipe beneath for toasting recent bread. I like to recommend the use of ciabatta, nation bread, or excellent crusty sourdough.
- Onion, carrot, and celery – Those greens create the fragrant base of the soup, referred to as a soffritto in Italian. You’ll sauté them in olive oil sooner than including the opposite substances. Tip: For a scrumptious variation in this recipe, check out the use of fennel as a substitute of celery. Its anise-like taste provides nice complexity to the soup!
- Garlic – It deepens the soup’s savory taste.
- Contemporary rosemary – For woodsy, citrusy taste. Now not a rosemary particular person? Use recent thyme as a substitute.
- Vegetable broth – Make selfmade vegetable inventory, or use store-bought.
- Dry white wine and diced tomatoes – They make the broth tangy and vibrant.
- Beans – You’ll be able to’t make Tuscan bean soup with out beans! I really like to make use of creamy white beans, corresponding to cannellini beans, however cooked cranberry beans paintings well too.
- Kale – Any selection works right here, however Tuscan kale, also known as lacinato kale or cavolo nero, is particularly scrumptious.
- Parmesan cheese – Simmer a Parmesan rind within the soup so as to add wealthy, nutty taste, and serve with grated Parmesan on best. If you happen to’re vegetarian, make sure to search for a emblem made with vegetarian enzymes (BelGioioso makes a excellent one). If you happen to’re vegan, be happy to skip it.
- And salt and pepper – To make the entire flavors pop!
In finding the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Methods to Make Ribollita
If you happen to’re beginning with recent bread, step one on this recipe is toasting it. Minimize or tear it into kind of 1-inch items, and unfold it in a fair layer on a big baking sheet. Bake in a 350°F oven for 10 to twenty mins, or till dry. As in comparison to recent bread, the dry bread will higher absorb taste and meld into the soup.
Subsequent, cook dinner the soffritto. Warmth the olive oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Upload the onion, carrots, celery, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and cook dinner till the greens melt, 10 to fifteen mins.
Then, simmer the soup. Stir within the garlic, rosemary, and wine adopted by way of the tomatoes, broth, beans, and Parmesan rind. Duvet and simmer for 20 mins to expand the flavors.
In the end, upload the kale and bread. Discover the soup and take away the Parmesan rind. Stir within the kale and cook dinner till it wilts. Upload part the bread and season to style, including extra bread for those who favor a thicker ribollita soup.
Let’s communicate bread! The extra you upload to the soup, the thicker it is going to be. Ribollita may also be very thick. In her cookbook Salt Fats Acid Warmth, Samin Nosrat notes that her favourite Tuscan ribollita is served on a plate!
However the consistency of your ribollita is as much as you. I like to recommend beginning with part the bread and including extra as desired.
No matter you do, you should definitely save one of the toasted bread for serving with the soup. It provides pleasant crunch to this another way cushy meal!
Ladle the soup into bowls, and best with toasted bread for crunch. Drizzle with olive oil, and bathe with grated Parm. I additionally like to sprinkle crimson pepper flakes on my bowl for warmth.
This ribollita recipe is highest proper after it’s made, because the bread soaks up increasingly broth the longer it sits. You probably have leftovers, you’ll be able to shop them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days, however be expecting the bread to soak up a lot of the broth within the refrigerator.
If you wish to make the ribollita forward, I like to recommend retaining the bread separate till you’re able to serve. Totally get ready the vegetable and bean soup, and shop it within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Whilst you’re able to serve, reheat the soup at the stovetop, including bread as wanted to thicken it.
Extra Favourite Soup Recipes
If you happen to love this recipe, check out the sort of hearty soups subsequent:
Need to check out any other Tuscan dish? Take a look at my panzanella recipe!
Ribollita is a Tuscan soup that is stuffed with beans and greens and thickened with bread. Made with easy substances, this vintage Italian dish is a hearty, comforting meal in a bowl.
- 8 oz crusty sourdough bread or ciabatta bread, preferably stale, torn
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks or 1 medium fennel bulb, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly flooring black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon chopped recent rosemary
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups cooked cannellini beans, tired and rinsed
- Parmesan rind, plus grated cheese for serving
- 1 (8-ounce) bunch lacinato kale, stemmed, leaves torn
Save you your display screen from going darkish
If the use of recent bread, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Unfold the bread in a fair layer at the baking sheet and bake for 10 to twenty mins, or till dry. Put aside.
Warmth the olive oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Upload the onion, celery, carrots, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and cook dinner, stirring every so often, for 10 to fifteen mins, or till very cushy.
Upload the garlic, rosemary, and wine. Stir, then upload the tomatoes, broth, beans, and Parmesan rind. Duvet and simmer for 20 mins.
Discover and take away the Parmesan rind. Stir within the kale and cook dinner for five mins, or till wilted. Stir in part the bread and season to style. If you happen to like a thicker ribollita, upload extra bread.
Ladle the ribollita into bowls. Best with extra bread, if desired. Serve with drizzles of olive oil and grated Parmesan.