Discover ways to make do-it-yourself tortilla chips with this step by step recipe! They are tremendous crispy and flavorful. Revel in them along with your favourite dip!
If in case you have a bag of stale tortillas putting out for your counter, don’t toss them. As a substitute, make do-it-yourself tortilla chips!
Those do-it-yourself tortilla chips are crispy, flavorful, and light-weight as air. Made with simply 3 elements—corn tortillas, salt, and oil—they’re tremendous easy to make, and so they style 10 occasions higher than any store-bought tortilla chips I’ve attempted. I will simply eat a handful simple, however the crunchy chips get up well to dips like salsa and guacamole too. They’re the very best snack for recreation day, Cinco de Mayo, or a taco night time. Stay studying to discover ways to lead them to!
Learn how to Make Tortilla Chips
My favourite approach for easy methods to make tortilla chips is to fry them. I’m no longer in most cases one for frying at house, in most cases opting for to bake or air fry as an alternative, however on the subject of do-it-yourself tortilla chips, in reality frying is completely value it. They arrive out so gentle and crispy!
And a plus of frying tortilla chips? It doesn’t require all that a lot oil. You’ll simply want 1/4 to at least one/2 inch within the backside of your Dutch oven or skillet. A word on oil selection: You should definitely use a impartial oil with a excessive smoke level for this recipe. Avocado oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, and peanut oil would all paintings neatly!
Good enough, let’s cook dinner!
Step one on this recipe is slicing the tortillas. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice every one into six wedges.
Subsequent, warmth the oil. Position a heavy, high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high warmth. The oil is able when its temperature reads 350°F on an instant-read thermometer. No thermometer? For those who upload a small piece of tortilla to the oil, it must sizzle.
Then, upload a unmarried layer of tortilla triangles to the recent oil. They must are compatible within the skillet with out overlapping. Use tongs to turn the chips frequently till they’re light golden brown, about 2 mins. If they’re browning too temporarily, cut back the warmth.
When the chips are golden brown, allow them to drain. Use a spider or slotted spoon to switch them to a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet and repeat with the rest tortillas. Upload extra oil to the pan as wanted.
Sprinkle with salt and serve!
Selfmade Tortilla Chips Pointers
- Use dry corn tortillas. I feel it is going with out pronouncing, however flour tortillas is not going to paintings on this recipe. They’re too wet to crisp up well within the oil. Plus, corn tortillas give the chips wealthy intensity of taste. Stale tortillas are ideally suited, however I’ve additionally effectively made this recipe with dry corn tortillas immediately from the grocer.
- An instant-read thermometer is helping. With one, you’ll be capable to observe the oil’s temp in order that it remains at 350°F as you cook dinner. This recipe is workable with out one, however you’ll have to check the oil prior to including the tortilla wedges (does a small piece of tortilla sizzle?) and regulate the warmth up or down as wanted if the chips forestall scorching or begin to brown too temporarily.
- Paintings in batches. For those who upload too many tortillas to the oil directly, they’ll cut back the oil’s temperature significantly, so that they received’t begin to crisp up immediately. Plus, this system for easy methods to make tortilla chips calls for flipping them as they cook dinner. If in case you have too many chips within the oil directly, you received’t be capable to turn them as frequently as wanted.
- Sprinkle them with salt. For the flavour of those do-it-yourself tortilla chips to in point of fact pop, you must sprinkle them with salt after cooking. I love to make use of wonderful sea salt, however your favourite kosher salt or flaky salt would paintings too!
What about baked or air fryer tortilla chips?
My sizzling take? Don’t do it. I’ve attempted making baked tortilla chips and air fryer tortilla chips such a lot of occasions, and each time, I’m disenchanted by means of the effects. They don’t self-praise in the way in which that fried chips do. As a substitute of turning into gentle and crisp, they’re thick, stiff, and stick-in-your-teeth crunchy.
Selfmade tortilla chips are a a laugh deal with. Like I mentioned above, it’s SO value frying them!
Favourite Dip Recipes
Want a tasty dip to pair with this salty snack? You’ll be able to’t move incorrect with any of those:
Selfmade Tortilla Chips
Serves 6 to eight
Discover ways to make do-it-yourself tortilla chips! Crispy and flavorful, they are scrumptious simple or along with your favourite dip.
- Prime-heat cooking oil, akin to avocado, canola, or vegetable oil
- 12 stale corn tortillas, minimize into 6 wedges every
- Sea salt
Line a plate with paper towels.
Fill a heavy skillet or Dutch oven with ¼ to ½ inch oil. Warmth the oil over medium-high warmth till its temperature reads 350°F on an instant-read thermometer, or till a small piece of tortilla sizzles when added to the oil.
Upload sufficient tortilla wedges to the pan to slot in a unmarried layer with out overlapping. Use tongs to turn the chips frequently till they’re crisp and light golden brown, about 2 mins. If the chips are browning too temporarily, cut back the warmth. Use a spider or slotted spoon to switch the chips to the paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the rest tortillas, including extra oil to the pan as wanted.
Sprinkle with salt and serve straight away. Retailer leftover chips at room temperature for as much as 3 days.