Right here’s a more healthy improve to the vintage New Orleans recipe: Purple Beans and Brown Rice!
UPDATE (2017): I in the beginning posted this again in 2012 when the Tremendous Bowl used to be in New Orleans and Mardi Gras used to be drawing near. I’ve up to date the pictures – revel in!
Between the new Tremendous Bowl in NOLA and Mardi Gras speedy drawing near, there’s a plethora New Orleans, Cajun, Creole recipes floating round and this Southern Wannabe is loving all of them.
This were given me within the temper to make a large pot of pink beans and rice (although I notice an East Coast gal can’t actually produce the true factor however imitation is the sincerest type of flattery, proper?)
Some Purple Beans and Rice tidbits:
- Purple beans and rice has been a Monday meal custom for many years in New Orleans. On wash day (Mondays), ladies would put a large pot of beans at the range to cook dinner all day as they did the laundry. The beans have been seasoned with leftovers from the Sunday ham and served over rice.
- The “Holy Trinity” of Cajun and Creole cooking is onions, celery and bell peppers and is the bottom for this dish.
- Cajun/Creole seasoning is a savory spice combine – with a bit kick – in most cases paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, oregano and thyme. Zatarians is a well-liked logo.
- The pink beans used are smaller and a little sweeter than huge kidney beans (locals swear by means of Cameilla Purple Kidney Beans for this dish.)
I made a couple of wholesome tweaks whilst nonetheless maintaining that Cajun taste:
- change in entire grain brown rice (I used brown basmati )
- change in turkey kielbasa for andouille (much less fats however nonetheless a lot of warmth and spice)
- scale back at the Cajun seasoning (as salt is in most cases the primary element) and upload in smoked paprika for some further smoky taste
lazy manner shortcut to make stay it easy is to make use of canned pink beans as a substitute of dried beans (if you’ll be able to’t discover a low sodium model, at all times drain and rinse canned beans completely.) I used a canned model of the smaller pink beans below the Westbrae natural label however in a pinch, pink kidney beans will paintings, too.
For extra tastes of New Orleans, right here’s a Fast and Simple King Cake recipe and a recipe for Baked Beignets (I notice it is a bit sacrilegious, roughly like used canned beans and turkey kielbasa for unique pink beans and rice!)
Regardless of. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Have you ever ever made pink beans and rice? What’s your favourite Cajun, Creole or Louisiana dish?