Within the spring and summer time I sit up for rhubarb season, which additionally is going hand in hand with strawberry season. Those two summer time end result pair so neatly in combination, the crunchy, acidic rhubarb stalks offering a bracing construction to the fragrant, candy pink berries, culminating into the very best sweet-tart taste combo this is so valuable in strawberry rhubarb recipes. Whilst maximum folks are very acquainted with strawberries, fewer folks know the rhubarb as neatly.
When is rhubarb in season?
Relying to your location, rhubarb is in season April via June. I’ve just a little rhubarb plant rising in my lawn, and I simply love to select the ones crisp stalks for this rhubarb sauce recipe. Whilst the massive triangular rhubarb leaves are inedible, the fleshy, crunchy pink-green stalks are scrumptious.
How you can freeze rhubarb when you have an ample provide?
It’s simple—simply slice them into quick items (1-2 inches), unfold them on a baking sheet, pop it within the freezer, and as soon as they’re cast, switch the rhubarb slices to an hermetic container. Now you’ll be able to retailer within the freezer for as much as 6 months to make use of on this recipe (you’ll be able to additionally use retailer purchased frozen rhubarb). My mom would dip the uncooked stalks into sugar and devour them like dipping celery sticks into peanut butter, however I like them cooked with strawberries in a lot of techniques, similar to a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler, summer time fruit skillet cobbler, or crisp. You’ll be able to additionally use your rhubarb for this tremendous simple, scrumptious, healthy, flexible Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, which you’ll be able to experience undeniable and simple by means of the spoon, similar to recent applesauce! Or, ladle it over your favourite truffles, similar to great cream, sorbet, or tart shells; breakfast foods, similar to plant-based yogurt parfaits, or complete grain porridge bowls; or baked items, similar to pancakes, waffles, and low cake. I swear, if you’re making up a batch of this tremendous simple, four-ingredient Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, it’s going to disappear very quickly!
Make this straightforward, low-sugar, herbal, scrumptious, wholesome, plant-based, gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce to serve over your favourite truffles, pancakes, waffles, yogurt, or cereal bowls—or to experience like you can applesauce.
- 1 pound recent (or frozen) rhubarb stalks, trimmed of leaves, sliced into 1-inch items
- 1 pound recent (or frozen) strawberries, sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup natural cane sugar
- Position sliced rhubarb and strawberries in a medium pot. Upload lemon juice, sugar, and stir neatly over medium warmth.
- Quilt, convey to a simmer over medium warmth, and prepare dinner for 10-Quarter-hour, stirring regularly, till fruit is soft and thickened.
- Take away from warmth, cool, and retailer in air-tight packing containers for as much as one week, or freeze for as much as 6 months.
- Makes 3 cups (6 servings, ½ cup each and every).
- Would possibly experience as a easy sauce, or serve it in pies, cobblers, crisps, fruit bars, or popsicles; or over cereal, pancakes, waffles, great cream, or plant-based yogurt.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook dinner Time: Quarter-hour
- Class: Sauces
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 61
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fats: 0 g
- Saturated Fats: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g
Key phrases: strawberry rhubarb, rhubarb sauce, selfmade strawberry rhubarb sauce
For different fruit-forward truffles, take a look at the next:
Peach Rosemary Olive Oil Crisp
Apricot Almond Tart
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Ojai Pixie Tangerine Vegan Cheesecake Cups
Strawberry Blondies with Coconut
This submit might comprise associate hyperlinks. For more info, click on right here.