The Cisco Substation Automation answer permits utilities to toughen new trade fashions, increase capability, combine renewable power assets, cut back operational prices, cut back dangers to grid operations, and meet regulatory necessities. The answer helps extra than simply the core supervisory keep watch over and information acquisition (SCADA) programs, including key use instances involving coverage of key belongings and tool control. Its generation upgrades and community control features cut back operational prices by way of decreasing the community footprint and automating key duties. The community infrastructure can toughen extra units and care for extra bandwidth with extra resiliency and new features for the community, reminiscent of time synchronization and web hosting packages. The Substation Automation answer builds at the visibility and safety of our Grid Safety way to meet the desires of a variety of transmission and distribution substations. The up to date answer is helping utilities triumph over the next trade and operational demanding situations:
- Rising collection of procedure and station bus units riding upper bandwidth necessities
- Restricted area and tool in substations for apparatus
- Want to cut back cybersecurity dangers by way of offering visibility into and segmentation of substation units and visitors flows.
- Loss of networking abilities in grid operations groups
- Necessities to Combine and track legacy units
- Regulatory necessities, particularly NERC-CIP and NIS2
- Want to scale to toughen extra substations
The Substation Automation answer is helping utilities triumph over those demanding situations and lays the root for extra dependable, sustainable, environment friendly grid operations at a cheaper price. Key options of this answer come with:
- Extra ports and quicker speeds: Creation of the IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 compliant Cisco Catalyst IE9300 Rugged Collection Switches with 28 Gigabit Ethernet fiber ports for safe, dependable, low-latency station and procedure bus conversation
- Upper port density by the use of stackable switching
- Higher reliability: Make stronger for a spread of resiliency and synchronization protocols
- Multifunctional router: Creation of IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 substation qualified Cisco Catalyst IR8340 Rugged Collection Router and Cisco Catalyst IR1100 Rugged Collection Routers for a mix of scalable WAN connectivity, firewall safety, and alertness web hosting
- Reliability: Make stronger for a spread of resiliency and synchronization protocols
- Higher safety: Permit extremely safe WAN with complex firewalling, URL filtering, intrusion prevention (IDS/IPS), malware coverage, IPsec/MACsec encryption, and DNS safety. Put into effect community get entry to keep watch over the use of Cisco Trustsec and IEEE 802.1x. Achieve visibility of substation belongings, their conversation actions and your safety posture with Cisco Cyber Imaginative and prescient. Keep an eye on far off get entry to into belongings with Cisco Safe Apparatus Get entry to. All constructed into Cisco networking apparatus that experience safe boot, signed firmware, and SUDI.
- Flexibility: Extremely modular platforms to toughen switching, routing, synchronization, and edge compute wishes
- Availability: Make stronger for IEC62439-3 lossless community topologies and protocols (reminiscent of Top-Availability Seamless Redundancy [HSR] and Parallel Redundancy Protocol [PRP])
- Precision: Make stronger for substation-wide time synchronization (for instance, the 2017 IEEE Precision Time Protocol – Energy Profile or IEC61850-9-3 PUP)
- Important purposes: Make stronger for substation communications reminiscent of IEC 61850, Modbus, IEC 60870-5-104 (IEC 104) and Disbursed Community Protocol 3 (DNP3)
- Simplicity: Vary of control choices, together with Cisco Catalyst Heart for substation switching and Cisco SD-WAN Supervisor for SD-WAN routing features
Evolution to phase routing and Ethernet VPN (EVPN) for substation WAN connectivity
Previous to phase routing, multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) packets have been forwarded the use of label switching as an alternative of IP-based routing, which means that the routers forwarded visitors in response to the label and no longer the vacation spot cope with. This required best the “edge” routers to accomplish an IP search for, whilst intermediate “core” routers carried out just a label search for.
Sadly, MPLS didn’t take away complexity from an current community. If truth be told, it added extra complexity via further protocols and each and every MPLS node requiring the state to be synchronized throughout all the community. As the dimensions of networks grew, so did the state and complexity, making it harder to perform and set up.
Section routing is dependent upon a small collection of extensions to Cisco Intermediate Device-to-Intermediate Device (IS-IS) and Open Shortest Trail First (OSPF) protocols. It may possibly perform with an MPLS or an IPv6 knowledge airplane, and it integrates with the wealthy multi carrier features of MPLS, together with Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN), Digital Non-public Cord Provider (VPWS), Digital Non-public LAN Provider (VPLS), and EVPN.
Section routing may also be immediately implemented to the MPLS architectures without a alternate within the forwarding airplane. Section routing makes use of the community bandwidth extra successfully than conventional MPLS networks and provides decrease latency.
EVPN is the following era L2VPN generation, it supplies layer-2 in addition to layer-3 VPN products and services in a scalable and simplified means. The evolution of EVPN began because of the desire of a scalable way to bridge more than a few layer-2 domain names and triumph over the constraints confronted by way of VPLS reminiscent of scalability, multi-homing, and per-flow load balancing.
Use instances regarded as within the new Cisco Validated Designs
We’ve got 3 classes of products and services to believe for the shipping community:
- Layer 3 IP founded Substation to Datacenter: IP founded Scada knowledge, IP founded CCTV, endeavor knowledge and IP telephony.
- Layer 2 Non routable Substation to Substation: Layer 2 ethernet founded multicast protocols (reminiscent of IEC61850 GOOSE & SV), Digital system migrations (for virtualised packages) and 3rd birthday celebration Scada visitors.
- Layer 2 Substation to Substation for Conventional Teleprotection: Energy Coverage products and services, which might be low latency level to indicate the use of particular software protocols and strict engineered paths around the community.
Cisco companions with Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories to give you the Teleprotection products and services and interfaces inside the substation, which might be by the use of the SEL ICON platform. This platform supplies the interfaces required for substation coverage units whilst offering an Ethernet founded uplink to the Cisco Converged Delivery community (NCS). SEL experience in grid automation is coupled with Cisco’s Business substation and converged shipping community merchandise supplies a highest of breed finish to finish answer.